What Is Halitosis Or Fetor Oris And How To Get Rid Of It?
What Is Halitosis?
Oral health and oral hygiene are critical. Thus, one cannot ignore it, as ignorance of oral health and hygiene can lead to significant issues in the later stages of life. However small they may appear in the early days of life, they do cause a lot of oral problems in the future. So let us get educated about one of the many oral diseases, namely, halitosis.
Halitosis or Fetor Oris is commonly known as a problem of Bad Breath. It is one of the most common oral diseases faced by an individual. Many are affected by it. Bad breath is enough to spoil your right image in front of others, people do not prefer to hang out with you, you face many embarrassments and worry, and you lose your self-esteem as well. But looking at the brighter side, this has natural remedies and treatments as compared to other oral diseases.
If you focus more on oral hygiene, this problem can be quickly dealt with.
What Are The Causes Of Bad Breath?
Some of the primary or most overserved causes of bad breath are as follows:
- Food: The good that we eat, its particles remain in the mouth as they get stuck in between the teeth which cause bad breath. Onions, garlic, spicy foods, fish, etc. also cause bad breath.
- Oral hygiene: Not brushing or flossing regularly, at least twice a day can cause the growth of bacteria in the mouth which is called plaque and along with bad breath these bacteria also cause periodontitis.
- Smoking: Smoking or chewing tobacco contains specific products in them which cause its type of bad breath. Also, smoking causes gum diseases, tooth decay, etc.
- Dry mouth: Not drinking enough water can also be one of the reasons for bad breath. As the body gets dehydrated and because of our mouth drying, there is not enough saliva which in turns causes odor in our breath.
- Drugs: Certain types of medicines also cause bad mouth odor as they contain certain chemicals which result in halitosis.
- Health issues: Health problems such as a sore throat, common cold, tonsil stones, liver disease, kidney disease, influenza may also cause bad breath.
- Allergies: The most common allergy which causes bad breath is the nasal drip. Also sinus congestion because of allergies also results in halitosis.
What Are The Symptoms Of Bad Breath?
We all know that the most widespread symptom of halitosis is an unpleasant smell coming from the mouth. However, few other symptoms are as follows:
- Dry mouth
- Sour taste
- Changes in taste
- The coating on the tongue
According to well known Berlin Dentist, Dr. Roman Fedorciw, if you have any of the above symptoms, you must visit a dental professional at the earliest. If ignored, bad breath can go from bad to worse and may cause a lot of embarrassment to you in your day to day life. Therefore, it is advised to get it treated as soon as it is noticed.
What Are The Treatment And Remedies For Bad Breath?
Depending on the cause of bad breath, the dentist accordingly suggests the best treatment and remedies to the patients, which are as follows:
- If bad breath is due to the intake of specific medication or drugs, then consult the appropriate doctor whether to stop it or opt for alternative medicine.
- If bad breath is due to health problems then according to the health issue, the dentist continues the treatment procedures.
- Keep yourself hydrated. In this way, the mouth will be moist, and this will result in the proper production of saliva. Also, one can chew sugarless gum or candy for the production of saliva.
- Quit smoking and chewing tobacco.
- Do regular flossing and brushing twice a day. It can help prevent the birth of bacteria inside the mouth.
- Also, visit the dentist for regular checkups.
Paying proper attention to our oral hygiene is a daily requirement. One must religiously follow the routine of oral hygiene so that your oral health is maintained correctly. A small a practice as regular brushing and flossing twice a day can prevent many oral diseases. So never take your oral health, hygiene as well as oral diseases lightly.